Dr. Veliyil Vasu Sugunan did his M. Sc. in Marine Biology from the Department of Marine Sciences, University of Kerala and Ph. D from the University of Calcutta.
Dr. Sugunan has rich experience in Research Management and Research Teaching in National and International Arena for 47 years.
• He was the Assistant Director General, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi
• Theme Leader CGIAR (World Bank) Challenge Program on Water and Food, WorldFish Centre, Penang Malaysia & Cairo, Egypt
• Director, Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute (CIFRI), Barrackpore Kolkata
• FAO Andre Mayer Fellow, HQ (FAO Rome); Work places (Zimbabwe, Zambia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Brazil Mexico and Cuba)
Post- retirement assignments
• Andre Mayer Fellowship of FAO of the United Nations
• ICAR Team Award for Outstanding Multi-disciplinary Research in Agricultural and allied Sciences for the biennium From Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India
• Aquaculture Award from MPEDA, Ministry of Commerce, Govt. of India
• Fisheries Technocrats Forum Annual Awards for the year 2001
• Environmental Conservation Excellency Award from Nature Conservators (India) Muzzafar Nagar
• Ex-Officio President: Inland Fisheries Society of India
• ElectedEditor:Journal of Inland Fisheries Society of India Hon. Editorial Consultant: Fishing Chimes Journal
• ConferredFellowshipInland Fisheries Society of India.
• Conferred Fellowship Zoological Society of India
• Conferred FellowshipNational Institute of Ecology of India
• Chairman, Quinquennial Review Team of ICAR Institute CIBA
• Member, Research Advisory Committees of ICAR Institutes CIFRI, CIFA, CIBA and DCFR
• Nominated as a Member of National Level Expert Committee on Inland Fisheries
Traveled widely, stayed and worked with in India, Rome, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Mexico and Cuba
Visited United States of America, Italy, United Kingdom, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Zambia, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Bhutan, Bangladesh, China, Laos, Syria, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Australia, Singapore, Estonia and Finland.
Under an FAO contract, a comprehensive document was prepared on the Reservoir Fisheries of India. This first ever review paper on Indian reservoirs has been published by FAO of the United nations as the FAO Fisheries Technical paper No. 345.
Under the Andre Mayer Fellowship of FAO, assigned to work on small water bodies of eight countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. A report on this entitled Fisheries Management of Small Water bodies in Africa, Asia and Latin America has been published by FAO of the United nations as FAO Technical Circular No. 933.
As Theme Leader, coordinated the research, extension and capacity building activities of the Theme 3 (Aquatic Ecosystems and Fisheries) of the Challenge Program on Water and Food, covering Nine river basins across the world viz., Nile, Limpopo, Volta, Indo-Gangetic, Yellow, Mekong, Kharke, Sao Francisco and Andes.
Published 9 priced books, 13bulletins, 79 research papers, book chapters/review articles 11 Popular scientific articles, 18 papers/abstracts presented in symposia/Seminars, and 15 technical reports.